Backend Software Engineer
Possible is a venture-backed consumer fintech that has radically reinvented small-dollar loans. We are working to lend in a more affordable and sustainable way to help people improve their financial health. Building on our success, Possible is adding two additional products in the pursuit of making financial services more fair and affordable.
Now in our 4th year, we are pleased to share we have seen serious growth, helped hundreds of thousands of customers, and have a stellar rating (100,000+ people give us an average of 4.8 stars at the app store). Our team has delivered and is making a difference.
About the Role
Help us launch or iterate on existing or platform and/or backend services for our existing and future financial products. Working with our product and engineering teams you will:
- design, code, and maintain components of our loan and payment processing systems, as well as cloud infrastructure for those components.
- implement best practices and processes for development, testing, and release processes.
- participate in the entire software lifecycle including hands-on development, code reviews, testing, deployment, and documentation.
- deliver highly level available and scalable services in production.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of programming experience on a modern technology stack
- Strong knowledge of Java (collections multi-threading, JVM memory model, etc), SpringBoot
- Experience building an SOA (Service-oriented Architecture) or microservices-based application (openapi, gRPC, REST, etc)
- Good understanding of designing for performance, scalability, and reliability
- Strong understanding of relational databases and ORMs
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership
- Strong drive for highly testable/tested code across the stack
- Experience driving projects from zero to one, and one to many
- Bias for solving problems and shipping impactful features into production
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment, reviewing and refining designs together, doing code reviews and managing pull requests
- Comfortable in a cloud based environment
Nice to have
- Full-stack experience
- Experience building high availability, mission critical financial systems
- AWS, Terraform, BPMN, DMN, Camunda, GraphQL
- Experience working in fintech or other financial services
We are a fast-growing, fully distributed, FinTech startup that believes financial health is something everyone deserves, not just the affluent. We’re committed to empowering the underserved with tools to better their economic situation. We promise to be transparent, serve with kindness, be responsible, and hold ourselves accountable for crafting positive change. Possible is backed by leading investors such as Union Square Ventures, Canvas Ventures, and FJ Labs.
Possible is fully distributed and has team members across the US and in Asia and Latin America. Our primary coordination hours are 9a to 3p Pacific Time.
Benefits (for US-based employees):
Joining an early-stage, venture-backed company does not mean you will sacrifice benefits. We offer excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage and pay 85% of employee premiums and 50% of eligible dependent premiums. We also offer childcare and healthcare FSAs; life and disability (short- and long-term) insurance; an Employee Assistant Program; and a 401(k) plan.
Diverse, Equitable, & Inclusive Work Environment:
Possible Finance values inclusion and believes diversity at all levels is the best way for us to accomplish our mission. We aspire to be among the industry’s most inclusive work environments and are a proud equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law.