About the Role
As a Serverside Developer at Files.com, you will take the lead on helping build cutting edge features into the Files.com product that drive value for the 6,000 business that use our platform for collaboration.
Our API receives hundreds of requests per second and is used by both internal and external developers.
Our primary app and API is primarily written in Ruby on Rails (though we built our own internal framework for APIs, not ActionController, and we don’t use Rails views at all). We have additional backend services written in Ruby, have built our own version of Resque, and heavily use things like Redis and Elasticsearch.
We are looking for Rubyists with strong backgrounds in data structures, algorithms, and scaling to join our team and help us build features into our already great app.
Here are some examples of projects that our Serverside Developers have recently completed:
- Building a scalable engine that can convert nearly any type of files to PDF for in-browser previews (like the former Crocodoc service).
- Building our Universal Sync engine, which is a tool that allows Files.com users to synchronize their files to other cloud services such as S3, Azure, and Rackspace.
- Upgrading our API documentation to be automatically generated using the OpenAPI standard, and the creation of automatically-generated SDKs.
And here are some examples of projects that our Serverside Developers will be tackling in the next 6-12 months:
- Implementing in-file search using Elasticsearch with custom input filters to index a plethora of document types.
- Building a file versioning tool that uses Git behind the scenes to give customers easy tracking of file versions.
Additionally, you’ll contribute to our ongoing projects for improving security, monitoring, and performance.