Technical Lead - Core Data Platform
Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our software engineers work on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology.
We’re constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information for patient health. If you want to apply your knowledge and skills to improve the lives of billions of people, join our team.
About This Role
This is a software development leadership role dedicated to building an enterprise quality data platform. As a Technical Development Lead, your goal will be to design and build a secure, resilient, and auto scaling data platform that provides multi-faceted data access and is easy to use and administer.
You will have a proven track record of using software engineering and leadership skills to deliver quality software on time to internal and external clients, leverage defined metrics to deliver status and progress reports to all stakeholders, and deliver executable technical roadmaps to the product management and software development teams.
Using your well rounded technical experience, delivered software will be easy for the end user to use and easy for internal teams to administer and support. You will deliver high business value software by communicating and working well with all stakeholders, developing strong inter-team relationships and increasing your business domain knowledge.
The role reports to Engineering leadership and works closely with Operations and Product Management stakeholders and collaborates with other Engineering leaders to improve efficiency of the development process. You will oversee and mentor a team of software engineers, improving the productivity of the team.
- On time and high quality software deliverables meeting the business needs
- Prioritized and correctly sized technical roadmaps based on the product roadmap
- Technical designs that are robust and adhere to software engineering best practices
- Well documented and robust key data models
- Tracking and reporting on key software development metrics to all stakeholders
- Be hands-on with production code and drive technical excellence
- Execute to a roadmap and prioritize tasks within the teams to ensure deliverables are met
- Mentoring development staff to ensure continual software engineering skill improvements and career growth
- Collaborate with technical and product teams to ensure high value software development deliverables
- Facilitate problem solving across teams and groups
- Translate business requirements across the company to best-in-class experiences
Qualifications and Skills
- 2+ years Leadership positions motivating and guiding team members in an agile development environment
- Experience with designing, implementing, and supporting a data platform including data processing and data access
- Experience designing software targeting ease of administration and support
- Significant experience in Java programming required
- Experience with running software applications in the cloud (AWS)
- Experience with Kubernetes / Kafka / Docker
- Technical experience designing and building cloud and microservice-based architectures
- Demonstrable experience shipping enterprise scale software for external clients
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve built a culture that empowers our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities.
We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive pay in a fast-growing organization.