Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve.
We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is expanding rapidly and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
What you’ll do:
- You will assist with a wide variety of employment matters that are core to Invitae’s business and growth, and you will work extensively across functions to help craft solutions to the legal challenges Invitae faces.
- Will be entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a quickly-changing and fast-paced environment including coordinating with and overseeing outside counsel in jurisdictions globally.
- With and without outside counsel, manage internal investigations and the defense of litigation and claims, including administrative charges and pre-litigation demands, as well as provide strategic advice and counsel related to Invitae’s employment compliance efforts
- Provide practical legal advice and engage in collaborative problem-solving on various areas of employment law compliance including, but not limited to, wage and hour, scheduling, employee benefits, and pay equity
- Draft employment agreements and assist Talent Acquisition with developing onboarding policies and SOPs
- Proactively identify and assess potential legal and/or reputational risk, and recommend practical, creative solutions that balance legal risk with business impact
- Coordinate with outside counsel in the representation of Invitae’s position to ensure a consistent, effective, and pragmatic approach to defense of the Invitae’s legal position
- Create materials and conduct training and education with the People and Culture team on relevant employment law compliance topics
- Work closely with other members of the legal team to support Invitae initiatives and develop and implement employment law compliance strategy
What you bring:
- Deep experience of employment law and related litigation experience practicing in-house or at a large or mid-size law firm
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in California and in good standing
- Excellent problem-solving skills, judgment, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Ability to effectively influence business leaders and resolve differences of opinion amongst collaborators, while navigating relationships and decision rights
- Ability to effectively negotiate with other professionals – strong personal skills
- Ability to take ownership of projects and solutions, and drive to successful and timely completion
- Open-minded; comfortable with ambiguity; ability to extrapolate potential solutions from prior experiences
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple competing tasks
- Adept at and comfortable making sophisticated risk assessments
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate, as well as to work independently, balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a high level of professionalism