Senior Engineering Manager - Platform Monitoring
As a Sr. Engineering Manager for Platform Monitoring in Observability and as part of the Infrastructure Monitoring organization, you will have the opportunity to lead a team of developers working with Product Management and Technical Leadership.
The team focuses on providing multiple ways to ingest logs and metrics from Cloud Providers, Kubernetes and other orchestrators as well as working with other teams in defining the end-to-end monitoring experience for these platforms.
The goal of this team is to build high quality, high performance, low overhead and easy to use solutions that help our users to reduce MTTD and MTTR. You will work with other teams at Observability and Elastic to ensure delivery of a comprehensive observability solution that leverages the power of the Elastic Stack like Elasticsearch and Machine Learning on-prem and in the cloud.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on a daily basis over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack.
We believe that engineering complex, pluggable software for the web that is built to last the test of time is both tricky and exciting. Doing so requires a team of diverse individuals, with sharp minds and the ability to empathize with our users, working together with mutual respect and a common mission.
We care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible throughout our organization.
At Elastic, hierarchy does not determine how decisions get made. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on anything, regardless of their role within the company.
What you will be working on
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of engineers.
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Work with our Product Management team to define requirements
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and consensus based decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Identify resource requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance.
What you will bring along
- Experience leading distributed teams of software engineers (people manager, tech lead)
- Significant experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Experience in the Observability domain.
- Project management experience.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to adapt the messaging to different perspectives (technical, business) and levels of detail.