First American is building a cutting edge, internal consulting team to grow our business through delighting our customer. If you crave customer satisfaction, are lit up by technology and live for transformation, this is the job for you.
As a principal software development engineer, you will be responsible for supporting and contributing to the architecture, and design, as well as leading the development, and launch of core product features.
You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
The ideal candidate is passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrated track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to teamwork, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements.
Creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems.
This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services and will flourish in an environment where new opportunities and challenges arise frequently.
We seek a great team player who will naturally elevate the performance of the people around them. High collaboration with Product and Design are imperative. The ability to build productive relationships with colleagues and customers will make you successful in this role.
- Work with other senior leaders on the team to build the technical strategy & architecture for a broad area
- Collaborate with product managers to translate business requirements into system specific functional requirements
- Design, develop, and implement world-class, secure software and services
- Champion change and act as project leader, evaluate design alternatives and perform cost benefit analysis
- Develop tools & processes to enable best-in-class operations for our service
- Mentor other developers and contribute to the growth and development of our team
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years of experience designing and building customer facing software products from concept to launch
- Demonstrated leadership abilities driving operational excellence and best practices
- Experience developing cloud software services
- Familiarity with Enterprise technology tools: Service Bus, Caching, SQL ecosystem, NoSQL, Multithread, Performance Optimization
- Computer Science fundamentals experience in data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- OO design/development experience
- Test Driven Development experience
- Rigorous focus on security at all levels of the application, a “shift left” mentality
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Development experience defining, developing, and maintaining web service API’s
- Ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- Familiarity in Financial and Insurance industry is a plus
An ideal candidate will have a demonstrable understanding and/or hands-on experience with most of the following technologies:
- React, Angular, HTML, CSS
- TypeScript, C#, SQL, Yaml, JSON, Terraform, CDK
- Microservices Architecture and Cloud Native Design Patterns
- AWS Services, such as API Gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, OpenSearch, CloudWatch, Event Bridge, RDS, EKS, ECS, Docker, etc
- OAuth2, OpenID Connect
- Postman, Cypress, xUnit, nUnit,
- REST, GraphQL, SOAP
- CI/CD pipelines in ADO or other platforms
$103,620 – $172,700