Marketing and Regulatory Counsel
In this newly created role, Athletic Greens is seeking a pragmatic and business minded Marketing and Regulatory Counsel, with the ability to calibrate legal advice with business strategy in a fast-paced, hyper-growth environment.
This position will report directly to the General Counsel and support the business by providing legal counsel on legal and regulatory matters related to the dietary supplement industry.
The Marketing and Regulatory Counsel will work cross-functionally with all of Athletic Green’s key internal stakeholders, providing counseling on a range of topics related to FDA dietary supplement regulations and FTC consumer protection matters, product claims development and substantiation issues.
We are looking for an attorney who will develop strategies for handling legal issues in creative, business-centric ways and build processes that address risk and allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
Athletic Greens is rapidly expanding internationally and this position will coordinate with AG in-house counsel in Germany as well as the local team and external regulatory counsel in other markets as we continue to grow.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Review and advise on product and brand advertising claims and strategies, including providing guidance on claim substantiation and structure function filings with FDA.
- Provide advice on regulatory and compliance matters (e.g., FTC, FDA) that impact the business.
- Conduct trademark searches and clearance, sharing recommendations and insights with the business.
- Support growth initiatives relating to new products and brands to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provide education and training on relevant legal issues and develop processes and best practices to support business needs and generate efficiencies.
- Review client labels and advertising for product compliance issues and advise on the classification of a product as a dietary supplement.
- Work closely with the VP of Quality Assurance on safety, recalls and adverse event reporting SOPs.
- Partner with the Customer Happiness team on developing accurate and legally compliant responses to customer inquiries across all communication channels, in each respective market, meeting local requirements.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the end to end claims and label process.
- Build on and maintain legal checklists and standard operating procedures with the company’s marketing team.
- Identify business and legal risks and issues and suggest practical alternatives that allow the business of the company to move forward in compliance with domestic and international laws, rules, and regulations.
- Handle a variety of other demands and projects related to our operations that arise in a rapidly growing startup.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum of 5+ years of meaningful relevant experience at a large law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- J.D. from ABA accredited program.
- Active bar membership in any U.S. state.
- Strong knowledge of FDA and FTC requirements, especially as related to product claims, claims substantiation, advertising, and promotions, preferably in the dietary supplement space.
- Significant experience reviewing marketing communications, consumer advertising, promotions, marketing presentations, and digital creative to ensure compliance with State and Federal rules and regulations.
- Experience searching, clearing and advising on trademark matters is desired.
- Familiarity with NAD matters is a plus.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments, expertly juggling multiple tasks and competing priorities, with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs
- A desire to improve processes in order to enable business growth at scale.
- Strong ability to work independently and as an integral member of a legal or cross-functional team, including support of the Company’s and Legal team’s strategic initiatives.
- Knowing when to say “no”, “yes” or “maybe”. You are mindful that the company is your client, and you advocate for the protection of your client.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- A 100% remote working environment, which has been implemented from day one.
- An immensely strong company culture that is enforced through the hiring process ensures values alignment and a highly collaborative team.
- 90% premium coverage for top medical, dental and vision plans.
- Employer paid short-term disability and life insurance.
- A mission-driven approach to each and everything that we do, with an overall goal to significantly improve our customer’s health and wellness.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave to allow you to spend time with your new family.
- A monthly fitness class credit to support you on your health and fitness journey.
- Annual company-wide retreats and quarterly department-wide meet-ups (COVID permitting).
- A 401k plan with company-matching because life is an opportunity and we care about your future.
- Paid holidays and an unlimited vacation policy to ensure you have a healthy work-life balance.
- The opportunity to work with passionate, high-growth, business-minded colleagues.
- A brand new company laptop and a generous home-office budget so you can work your best.
- Access to Athletic Greens product and swag items.