Principal User Researcher
Possible is a venture-backed consumer fintech that has radically reinvented small-dollar loans. We are working to lend in a more affordable and sustainable way to help people improve their financial health. Building on our success, Possible is adding two additional products in the pursuit of making financial services more fair and affordable.
Now in our 4th year, we are pleased to share we have seen serious growth, helped hundreds of thousands of customers, and have a stellar rating (100,000+ people give us an average of 4.8 stars at the app store). Our team has delivered and is making a difference.
As our Principal User Researcher, you will be responsible for partnering with marketing, product and engineering leadership to create a comprehensive user research program, focusing on both generative (opportunity and needs finding), and evaluative (comprehension and usability) research.
As the founding member of the team, you will be responsible for establishing practices and processes for producing actionable insights that inform, shape, and guide our products ensuring they reflect the needs and abilities of our customers.
Two main areas of focus for this role will be: establishing an ongoing voice of the customer program and planning product level research for our mobile app, products, services, and website. Our goal is to build a shared understanding of and empathy for our customer and to make this accessible to the whole organization.
We are extremely customer-focused and are seeking an individual who can effectively enable everyone’s continual learning in regards to our customers and their evolving needs. In planning and prioritizing product level research the scope of this role will span needs finding through feature prioritization through usability and customer acceptance.
User research will work side-by-side with our product managers and designers to craft end-to-end experiences and enable our customers to discover, understand, and achieve financial health and credit stability.
You must be able to work and adapt in a fluid, fast-paced environment. You should also have strong domain knowledge of human perception, cognition and problem solving, as well as outstanding communication and collaboration skills.
- Work with stakeholders to translate the broader product strategy into an actionable, tactical research plan
- Influence the product roadmap and strategy
- Provide guidance to partners in product and design
- Advocate for the customer in key product/design decisions
- Know how to use a breadth of research tools to address a wide range of challenging product issues
- Own evaluative and/or generative research projects independently
- Synthesize current research projects with past findings and arrive at a point of view that informs the subject of discussion
- Make research results accessible for our organization
- Required: Degree in a related field (Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Human Factors, etc.)
- 5+ years of combined relevant user research and usability experience in B2C UX design, and Fintech is a plus
- Experience in both evaluative and generative research methods, workshop facilitation, quantitative research, and ethnographic/in situ observation
- Design and execute research projects, communicate research results, and produce impactful customer insights
- Strong ability to take research results and convert them into prioritized, actionable recommendations
- Develop relationships with development and product management leaders
- Elevate customer insights to influence product strategy
- Successfully apply specialized knowledge of Human Factors/UCD research concepts and techniques to a broad range of consumer products and services
- Excellent time management skills, juggling multiple projects at once
- Ability to collaborate actively & effectively on multidisciplinary teams
- Utilize available internal/external resources to assist with various phases of research
- Recognized by others as an authority/professional resource in his/her area of expertise
- Knowledge of user experience best practices
We are a fast-growing, fully distributed, FinTech startup that believes financial health is something everyone deserves, not just the affluent. We’re committed to empowering the underserved with tools to better their economic situation. We promise to be transparent, serve with kindness, be responsible, and hold ourselves accountable for crafting positive change. Possible is backed by leading investors such as Union Square Ventures, Canvas Ventures, and FJ Labs.
Possible is fully distributed and has team members across the US and in Asia and Latin America. Our primary coordination hours are 9a to 3p Pacific Time.
Benefits (for US-based employees):
Joining an early-stage, venture-backed company does not mean you will sacrifice benefits. We offer excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage and pay 85% of employee premiums and 50% of eligible dependent premiums. We also offer childcare and healthcare FSAs; life and disability (short- and long-term) insurance; an Employee Assistant Program; and a 401(k) plan.
Diverse, Equitable, & Inclusive Work Environment:
Possible Finance values inclusion and believes diversity at all levels is the best way for us to accomplish our mission. We aspire to be among the industry’s most inclusive work environments and are a proud equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law.